San Jose child support attorneys are legal professionals who help parents deal with issues relating to child support. The issues that are involved in calculating child support also usually effect many other issues like child custody, child visitation, and spousal support . A good and experienced attorney can assist both custodial and noncustodial parents, regardless of whether the parents were married at the time the child was born. Services an experienced child support attorney can provide include:
- Counting Income: A child support attorney can help make sure that your income is being counted properly and that you’re taking all of the deductions, like health insurance and/or union dues, that you are entitled to receive. An attorney can also help make sure that your spouse is not claiming any deductions that he or she is not entitled to receive.
- Enforcing Child Support: A child support attorney can help you enforce an existing child support order. The state provides some assistance for parents, but progress can be slow because of the backlog of cases.
- Modifying Child Support: A child support attorney can help you request a modification of your child support order based on a change in circumstances. This might include reduced income due to a job loss, change in work schedule, or illness. A change in circumstances might also include an increase in expenses, such as extra therapy that a child needs for a physical or mental disability.
- Child Support and Child Custody Concerns: If you are currently paying child support, but have since changed the amount of time your child is physically in your care, an attorney can help you have your child support order changed to reflect this. Child support payments are based on parental income as well as the amount of time the child spends with each parent, so having your child stay with you for additional time should decrease your support payment.
- Handling Child Support Arrears: If you are behind on your child support payments, an attorney can help you come up with a plan to avoid penalties such as losing your driver’s license, being unable to apply for a passport, or having your income tax refund withheld.
If you need assistance with a San Jose child support issue, keep in mind that the law offices of Thomas Chase Stutzman offers a free 30 minute initial consultation. The face to face consultation provides an opportunity for you to make sure you’ve selected an attorney who matches your needs.